Thursday, January 15, 2009

A year on...

I still very much remember a 5A JV boys game I did last year. It was the first really "big" game I had done and it also happened to be between two county rivals. It wasn't a bad game necessarily, but I left fairly humbled with a lot of things in mind I knew I had to improve.

I remember being a little too tentative on some big calls, and then being really eager to make some others that I should have been more patient on. I remember my partner and I lost track of the foul count and ended up with an eight-to-one foul ratio in the fourth quarter in favor of the winning team (not good).

I remember not being exactly sure how to deal with the coaches in a couple of situations and being a little flustered when I got yelled at.

Yesterday I did another 5A JV boys game, and I'm happy to say that I think I've improved quite a bit. I always hope to leave with some things in mind to work on, and I had a couple of those. But, just in terms of managing the game, coaches, calls, etc. I felt good.

The biggest thing was that I felt very comfortable. I wasn't flustered when a coach had a complaint. I didn't feel tentative, and I definitely felt like the game was at my level of competency, whereas last year it was maybe half a step above it.

It so happened that a varsity referee was there evaluating us. Based on his post-game comments in the dressing room I think I probably did well. Either way I'm trying not to worry too much about evaluation scores right now. I have all the time in the world to work my way up. I think the best way to do that is just do my best in every game and learn from whatever constructive criticism I get.

Yesterday was definitely a positive step for me, and I think it's a sign that I really have improved over the last year.

No comments: