Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Big Call...

I got home late on Wednesday, which is OK because Thursdays are the one work day I can sleep in a bit and not feel too guilty.

I got up at 7 a.m. for breakfast and then went back downstairs to sleep for another hour and a half. At 8 I was interrupted by my ringing cell phone. I quickly looked down and didn't recognize the number. Being half asleep I let it go to voice mail. When I got back up 45 minutes later I found a message from the sub-varsity assignor. He said he had spoken with THE big wig. He had gotten the state supervisor of officials to give me a varsity game.

Tomorrow I will officiate a 1A boys varsity game. Now, in honesty, some of the bigger JV games I've done are probably better games in terms of skill, speed, etc. But, I'm in. I've got a varsity game which a lot of other referees would love to get. I never expected to get one this early on. I was thinking I'd be extremely pleased if I got a couple next year.

Obviously I'm very happy, very much looking forward to it, and very hopeful that it's just one of many more to come.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Congratulations, and good luck! I hope it goes well for you.