Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Last Hurdle

As if four-and-a-half years of classwork and tuition, it would seem that there is one last great hurdle that must be overcome in order to graduate college - that is the bureaucracy of BYU department procedures.

I have enjoyed my time at BYU and value the education and degree I am about to receive, but it is difficult to imagine a more convoluted, watered down process filled with signature lines and office phone numbers of countless employees (many of whom seem to collect substantial salaries while serving a single mundane purpose, deriving a sense of usefulness by making an otherwise simple task immeasurably more complex and time-consuming).

But alas, I am now down to a few simple steps that must be taken before I "walk" next Friday. I have to get a cap and gown, I have to turn in some assignments to the bureaucrats at the communications internship office, and I must show up at the proceedings.

Assuming the transition to full-time work here at Access TS goes alright, I'm then a full-fledged college graduate. Time to go buy the Princeton Review book and get started on my GMAT studies...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey, hey, hey -- is that this coming Friday? Were you going to invite us, or what? Good grief, why must everything in this family be a state secret?