Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sage Words of Wisdom

The last class I'm taking to graduate is a course titled "Principles of Journalism." It was started as an introductory course to new and prospective journalism majors, but I've landed in it as a capstone. The bureaucracy of the communications department abruptly changed the graduation requirements in the middle of my major and then simply eliminated one course that was required when I started. So I'm stuck in this class to make up for it. It's really not so bad. The professor is helpful and the coursework is relatively light. But, everything we have studied and learned so far has only increased my cynicism about the journalism industry and my desire to continue my education in some other field.

The latest assignment we had to do was interview a current media professional and write a report on our findings. I actually interviewed two local media professionals, an entertainment critic at the Deseret News, and one of the prominent sportswriters at the Salt Lake Tribune.

Both interviews were good and fairly informative. The last question I asked them was what advice they would give students studying journalism. Below are quotes of their respective responses.

Deseret News Writer: "Don't. That sounds overly simplistic, but this is a horrible time for journalists because of falling ad revenue, buyouts, layoffs, etc. On the other hand, I think if you learn how to write well there are any number of jobs you can do."

Salt Lake Tribune Writer: "Changes majors. OK, I'm kidding -- but only slightly. Journalism is usually thought of as a profession of passion, and you definitely need that to survive a career. Make sure you REALLY want to be a journalist or you will probably be miserable."

Sage words of wisdom from some mentoring voices. Sometimes I can't help but chuckle to myself about the major I chose...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yeah, at least I had the good sense to pick a major that pays something. Passion, smashion, I say.